whatever he does prospers

There are moments when I want to drop out of school and go do something amazing with my life. There are moments when I want to travel the world recklessly, putting all my stake in the Lord. There are moments when I am bored, when I sit around getting heavy with pointless details of my day, when I long just to graduate and leave and start living. There are moments when I dream huge things for my future.

And in those moments, I give the Lord a lot of thoughts to rebuke.

Maybe one of the most tragic things about living is that we don't do it enough. Do you know what I mean? We wait for the next big thing, we waste our days, we get tired of our life because we imagine it as ordinary and we are not satisfied. I know you've felt that way because you are human, and it's what we do. We are impatient and we are blind.

In Psalm 1, it says that those who delight in the Lord are like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit in each season (NLT). It says that our leaves will not wither, and in all we do, we will prosper (NIV). It says that we are always in blossom (the message). Always.

I write this as a confession and as a reminder. I forget it often, but these things I've learned to be truth: there is space for amazing things in my life now. I can put all my stake in the Lord right at this second. There are no excuses for boredom, there is every opportunity for God to be glorified in each detail, my world is moving and transforming as I type this. The Lord has big dreams for me today. There is nothing to wait for.

It is good to be excited for the future, but don't let it keep you from being excited for today. What I'm learning is that as I follow the Lord and go to places He calls me to be, there will always be a riverbank nearby. Even the "ordinary" locations, even two more years of being in college. My prayer is that in my impatience for real "life", I will discover that there is room for a miraculous time of living, where my every minute is a gorgeous thing, blooming.

0 comments:

Post a Comment