guitar practice

I've gotten a lot less self-conscious about my guitar playing ever since I made a video for my friend Gabe of me playing/singing a Spanish song (because I always told him I would play guitar for him when I was Nicaragua, but I never got around to it). Anyway, I sent Gabe this video after I got home and told him not to show it to a soul....come to find out, he showed it to pretty much every person on the planet. SO now that every single Nicaraguan has heard my horrible rendition of Fotografia by Nelly Furtado, I don't feel as nervous anymore. But it's still a learning experience.

Most of my guitar practices go like this: I start off really excited and on beat, and then end up forgetting the chords, or getting bored of the chords and start playing my own thing to a completely random beat. Or I forget the words and start making ridiculous things up or just singing "la la la", which is sometimes more fun than singing words. It's a rare day when I can play a song straight through without crazy amounts of mistakes or without giving up.

But here's what I love about learning guitar: It's about grace. Grace for myself when I mess up, grace to know that all good things come with patience and time, and grace to know that with practice, that stupid F chord will not always defeat me. Here's to hoping that one sweet day in the future, I'll be able to make it through a song without utterly deteriorating.

Below is a good example of loosing it at the end, and also an example of one of my favorite songs (It's called Green Eyes by Coldplay :) )


0 comments:

Post a Comment