a day for lists: dream jobs

You know that question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" The answer to that has changed for me a bunch of times. Right now, the answer is: ughhhh. But in years past, I always had some bizarre thing I thought would be the perfect job. Here are my top ten things that, at some point in my life, I thought I'd love being:

1) veterinarian (This was my ideal career when I was about seven...until I realized that vets don't just cuddle with puppies & kittens all day.)

2) host of Entertainment Tonight (Middle school. Although why I thought that I could stand up on TV in front of millions of people when I couldn't even stand on stage for "Sound of Music" try-outs without freaking is beyond me)

3) Astronaut (after Space Camp in 8th grade. It'd be pretty sweet if it didn't involve all that science)

4) greeting-card writer (Actually, this still might be ideal. I'm pretty good at being corny)

5) that person who chooses what songs play during movie scenes (I think I would be pretty good at this one, too. I'm not sure how you get this job though. But picture this scene: a man is driving down a highway after saying goodbye to the love of his life who he can't be with because she is being deported to Switzerland for having an illegal Visa. It is raining. He is crying silently. Suddenly, he looks to his left and the woman he just said goodbye to has stolen a cab from the airport, sped up and is driving beside him, after finally deciding that she couldn't bear their separation. He pulls over. She pulls over. They slow-mo run into each other's arms. It's still raining. They kiss. A herd of cops come chasing down the road after them, but they don't pay them any attention. Police lights are blinking in the background. Throughout scene, Coldplay's "Fix You" is playing. Perfect? I think so)

6) interior decorator (I admit it, I went through a "Trading Spaces"-phase. But seeing as I tend to have trouble simply matching my socks, color-schemes and fabric patterns might not be something I excel in)

7) a dress-up reenactor at Williamsburg/some history-ish museum place (This has been a fairly secretive (until now) dream of mine for awhile. How awesome would it be to dress up in a hoop skirt and say things like "What in the Lord's good name is a cellular phone? You Yankees better hurry along now, I'm busy churning this butter. Please do visit Ye Old Museum Gift Shoppe." It'd be just like time-traveling, I'm sure)

8) Tina Fey (how cute are those glasses?)

9) the voice of "doors closing"/"doors opening" on the Metro (I'm not sure that this would be much in the way of a career, but I think I would do a good job as the recorded Metro voice. They had this big contest awhile back to choose who got to say it. I think the woman who won has a pretty boring voice. I would make it really perky and sweet. Or see if I could record several versions that they could switch around, like some funny ones such as me with a fake British accent or me fake-yelling at people or being like "Hey you. I see you. with your newspaper. just kidding. I'm just a voice." How fun would that be?)

10) Headmaster at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry (Oh right- not a real place. my bad)

0 comments:

Post a Comment