"when you are old & gray..."

Today my friend Ellen & I sat in Shenandoah Joe's most of the afternoon to do some work. Whenever we do this, it ends up turning into more of a people-watching session than a productive excursion. Today was extra special. We ended up sitting down at this cluster of chairs & a few minutes after we arrived, an older couple came and sat down next to us. Hearing snippets of their conversation was a truly lovely & hilarious experience.

Mrs. funny old person: Well what should we do today?
Mr. funny old person: oh gosh, I don't know....should we look in the papers?
Mrs: wait, I thought we had the day pretty well mapped out already.
Mr: well, maybe we should look anyway
Mrs: Oh will you look at this recipe for pot roast?! I would love to make a pot roast!
Mr: mmmhmmm
Mrs: wouldn't that be great, if I made a pot roast?
Mr: mmmmhmmm
Mrs: this says something about Metallica.. . what in the world is Metallica?
Mr: It's a band! They are pretty big time actually.
Mrs: Really? I've never heard of them.
Mr: Oh yes, I'd say they've sold more records than just about anybody.
Mrs: heavens! well what do they sound like?
Mr: It is called "Heavy Metal"
Mrs: will you look at that rain outside? Let's go to White Oak!
Mr: But you just said that it was raining outside.
Mrs: Oh I don't care. let's go anyway. It's beautiful up there.
Mr: I can't.
Mrs: Oh right because of your problem
Mr: Oh look, it says the ice hockey team is playing! Would you want to go see an ice hockey game?
Mrs: No I would not. Oh goodness, this pot roast recipe calls for apples! Wouldn't that just be great?


oh, old people. gotta love them.
I cannot wait until my husband & I are old and take our saturdays together & sit around asking "what now?"even if some young people laugh at us & write blogs about our silly conversations.

0 comments:

Post a Comment