why we love the things we love

is sort of funny, isn't it? Why do some people love running around and throwing balls at each other and being competitive? I just will never understand. But then again, why do some people love words and making them into art like I do? I guess I just don't really know either.

because sometimes we love things beyond explanation. We love them beyond what words can say, simply because, well, we just DO. We just love them. It's like we were hard-wired to. And it's love, for sure, that makes me certain God must exist. Because I shouldn't love cheddar cheese or poetry or every shade of purple or even any person on this world with the love that I have. It simply isn't practical. There are so many strange things I adore, and the most I can say in terms of an explanation for it is just to describe everything I adore about those things....which is not really an explanation at all.

For example - why do I love the sound of water against the shore so much? It does nothing for me. It doesn't give me anything, and I can't order it around or ask it questions or seek wisdom from it, and I don't have to love it...but I do. My ears just love it. They just do. Isn't that the craziest thing?

Isn't it crazy when you love snuggling up in freshly-laundered sheets, or you love that teacher who told you a funny joke once, or you love that song when it comes on the radio, or you love pesto sauce or love one pencil over another one, all of it for no reason at all.....think of what you love, and I bet it's the strangest list.

We love and we don't know why and I just love love love that, don't you?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

what a great way to de-stress my stressful day- thinking about things I love!

- the way my cat sounds like she's having a conversation with me
- church bells
- wind chimes
- learning new things about my grandparents and great-grandparents
- the way my baby niece looks like my brother sometimes, and then other times she looks like my sister-in-law.
- late afternoon sunlight. always the prettiest time of day.

emily morgan thompson said...

Sarah, I love this list! late afternoon is my favorite time of day! :)
haha now I'm thinking of more things I love...like the sound of trains, the smell of old books, sitting in your car during a rain storm....it goes on and on...

Post a Comment