a mini-poetry collection

I just spent some time listening to a few "This I Believe" essays on NPR's website. I LOVE the series, and I'm sort of bummed that I just started enjoying it only to find out that it is no longer continuing. But anyway, I just wrote three poems based on three I enjoyed a lot, so here they are :) I recommend a browse through the project if you have time...very thought provoking.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Do you know that Godzilla’s suit weighs 188lbs?”

after listening to an NPR “I Believe” essay by Joshua Yuchasz, entitled “We’re All Different in Our Own Ways”

Kids at Oak Valley make fun of me for liking

what I like the most, but we’re different,

and I can tell this to Bubba, my red-tailed

boa constrictor, and he’d understand it.


but other people don’t understand it,

the same way I didn’t understand what Asperger’s was

until I asked my mom, until she told me I wouldn’t die,

until she told me it was like I had blinders on,

except for all the time, not just occasionally.


If there was a Jeopardy category about Godzilla,

I’d win it, too, and no one would laugh at that,

or laugh when I become a gene engineer,

create the real Godzilla, one as tall as the first,

or maybe even better, that could tear down buildings,

but maybe this one wouldn’t…


I can dream, can’t I?

(listen to this one by clicking here)


“When times are tough, I look to the Catalinas”

after listening to an NPR “I Believe” essay by Connie Spittler, entitled “Pink Moments”

It was sometime before he got cancer

that my husband and I took the trip to Ojai,

where we learned that the art of stopping everything

at the first moment of sunset came from Himalayan inhabitants.


It was sometime during the middle of my childhood

that I first fell for the Pink Moments, as the people of that town

call them, the moments when shards of color make their way to sky,

when the day starts exhaling in paint, the palate I first discovered

while hating doing the dishes – the love I discovered for time fading.


And it was sometime I can’t recall when I started accumulating

all of my life in terms of those mountains outside my window

in Tuscon, Arizona, when I started pulling strength from them,

when I started to realize they could handle the weight of pain,

and that they liked to listen,

and that I could color myself the same shade of light they took on,


and became certain that it would take a lot of tears to wear down a mountain.


(listen to this one by clicking here)


“I travel to see friends, even—or especially—those I’ve never met”

after listening to an NPR “I Believe” essay by Jim Haynes, entitled “Inviting the World to Dinner”

Marriage and babies have come from my dinner table,

the place where booksellers from Atlanta and Dutch political

cartoonists break bread together, and where I exercise

my freedoms as a citizen of the globe, roots all over the world.


I call it my Sunday salon, and anyone is welcome as long

as they call ahead, and the first 50 or 60 can come,

except when it’s nice outside and another twenty can spill

to the patio, and then we’ll all talk and make friends,

laugh about the way the whole wide world is one thread.


I have a good memory, so if you come, I’ll know your name

and remember it, and in the library of my head

I will add you to my collection of biographies,

and I’ll dream about the history in that, which includes you,

and dream of no more strangers any longer,

of no more hatred because we don’t understand…


because If I had my way, I would introduce everyone in the whole world to each other.


(listen to this one by clicking here)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

marry me?

Post a Comment