songs named names

Today I was thinking about how a lot of really good songs are named after names. Here are a few of my favorites you should check out:

1) Jolene - Ray LaMontagne
SO good. So. So. So. So.

2) Jolene - The Weepies
OK, this is another good song called "Jolene". I can never decide which one I like better. The Weepies are awesome, so if you haven't checked them out, you need to. They are kind of chill, folky music that is smooth and easy to listen to.

3) Caroline - David Gray
My friends and I just had a conversation a few weeks ago about wonderful it would be if David Gray was your husband and he could serenade you any time you wanted.

4) Kate - Ben Folds
"everyday she wears the same thing...I think she smokes pot"

5) Samson - Regina Spektor
She has such a beautiful, haunting voice. There are some really lovely lines in this.

6) Jack & Diane - John Mellencamp
You know you love it.

7) Amie - Damien Rice
I could melt into this.... or just have a good slow dance while listening to this.

8) Sarah Maria - James Taylor
Not one of his better known numbers, but this song is wonderful. (so is JT)

9) John Wayne Gacy Jr. - Sufjan Stevens
This song is about the Chicago serial-killer. Yes, kind of creepy, but for some reason this song really impresses me. I love Sufjan and think this tells a really haunting story.

10)
Emily - Frank Sinatra
Alright, this song only made this list because I am a little self-obsessed.

11) Taylor - Jack Johnson
My bro's name! Although, I like to make fun of him about it because this song is about a girl.

12)
Mary Ann - Ray Charles
probably my favorite Ray Charles song

13) Vanessa (from Queens) - Stephen Malkmus
I think I got this from a mix Zoe gave me, so you know it's good.

14)
Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder
Warning: do not play this song unless you are in the position to have yourself a killer DP.

15) Janet - The Format
My mom's name :) The Format rules. I love the line in this that says "I love waking up to your laugh"

16) Rapunzel - Dave Matthews Band
"lost in love and dancing - shake your tambourine!"

17) Pauline -
Ladysmith Black Mambazo
ohhh I just adore their voices.

18) Ms. New Booty - Bubba Sparxx
just kidding.

19) Lola - The Kinks
la la la la lola.

20) Kathleen - Josh Ritter
This song is perfect. If any boy ever says to me "all the other girls here are stars, you are the Northern Lights", I will be so happy.

21) Jenny - Flight of the Conchords
they are so entertaining. I love this song tons.

22) Jonathan Fisk - Spoon
Every time I listen to Spoon, I get this sudden urge to learn how to play the drums.

23) Victoria - John Mayer
If you are looking for an especially sappy John Mayer song, you've found it.

24) Zak and Sara - Ben Folds
I remember that this was so fun to sing at his concert. I will forever love Ben, even though he is apparently a jerk in real life.

25) Maggie May - Rod Stewart
An oldie but a goodie

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Jenny by Flight of the Conchords is one of my favorite songas well - I love them so much!

Post a Comment