a good memory, barefoot update, etc.

day three. it was good. I was wearing my sweet barefoot for nica t-shirt, so I got less stares today and felt more official. my feet are becoming better warriors. the worst part of my walk is by the stadium where there are a million tiny rocks that try to murder your soles. But other than that, it was a lovely day to be without shoes. and the 5k razoo page is blowing up with sign ups - PTL!

I literally cannot focus on school. I'm trying, but the end is so close and it's getting hard to be dedicated. So tonight I was looking through the journal I brought on spring break and thinking back on one of our last nights. Kirsty had to go get something from the little boy's house, and it was dark, so I walked with her over there. We had to go into the little girl's house first to find someone, and then walked to the boys room. It was the best thing ever. They were all getting ready for bed, about to fall asleep. As soon as we walked in, they all got so excited and wished us good nights and gave us hugs and I just instantly fell in love with all of them in that moment, these precious kids who were about to sleep and rest and I was so happy for them, that they were there and safe and that I got to say sweet dreams to them.
So as I was laying in bed that night, I scribbled the following down before I, myself, went off to sleep. It was definitely a memory I can't imagine forgetting.

all your hands reaching out.
a chorus song of Buenos noches: the sweetest sound
I have ever heard. and I want to wrap each of you
up inside my arms a million times and keep you there.
and the moon outside, as you are falling asleep, is big.
I bet it is shining in on you, through the
windows across this little house of little chicas that faces the playground.
I bet it is hanging up above the swings and smiling for you.

You are tired and staring at the bunk above
or at the ceiling, eyes closing slowly. I wonder what you are thinking and I’m
glad you are sleeping. glad you are under a sheet and slumbering
where nothing bad can get you. and you have pink walls. I’m glad.
And you have so many nightmares that could come live in your mind tonight,
but I’m telling them to sleep now, too, and some place far away.
And I am praying that you’re dreaming.

Next door, all your brothers are in bed and I pause in their doorway.
Their little shining faces pop up above the top bunks, the backs of wardrobes and beds
making a corner and I can’t see, but hear little voices, little bedtime chattering.
Little knees are jumping on the bed and waving
to me across the room.
And I’m dizzy with joy.
And then around the turn he is running at me and now I’m breaking into pieces -
getting to wish him sweet dreams.
We’re swinging in a circle.
The best goodnight hug.

It is dark and heavy as we walk back and away from you sleeping,
away from shampoo smells and clothes laid out for tomorrow.
And I am watching, turning my back around, hesitant to leave
and pausing -
and instead I am there, above the swings:
shining and full and smiling for you.
Buenos noches again and again and again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment