I'm going to change my name to something more original...like Jane Smith

There is an Emily in my Racquetball class. There is an Emily in my fiction-writing class. There is an Emily in my Shakespeare discussion. There are probably 800 Emily's in my ENGL 382 lecture. I love my name, but I hate the fact that I share it with practically every other girl in the universe.

I think there are two perspectives I can take on this matter:
1) feel doomed to everlasting failure due to never being remembered or thought unique in any regard
2) get really excited about forming a secret society with every other Emily in which we stealthily undermine every person who doesn't share our name on our quest to achieve world domination

I get kind of nervous about having such a popular name. Think about it. Most people who are famous go by really awesome things. Bjork. Ringo Starr. Even Beyonce...we all know that she is only popular because she has such a killer name. It's not like she's talented or anything.

Seriously though, what is up with my life? Not only do I share a birthday (I have a twin brother) but I also share the same full name as 766 other Americans. (according to howmanyofme.com) That is so lame. Also, there is another Emily Morgan Thompson at UVa who is my year and also from northern Virginia. Go figure. I have yet to meet her, but I hope we are clones of each other or something. At least that would make my life interesting.

I guess I shouldn't wallow in self-pity. Really, the person I feel bad for is my first-born daughter because I will probably name her something like Moonbeam Joy-Flower just to be original.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Em - We must be long-lost souls inhabiting different time spans...when I was at UVA there was another Lauren Taggart who was my year as well - the exception was that she was Lauren Michelle Taggart from Pennsylvania and I am Lauren Ashley Taggart from VA...we actually even ended up in the same ECON 201 class at one point (until I dropped it - dumb numbers!) Love you hon - hope you are enjoying a snowy Cville!

Post a Comment