Jesus ______ (verb)


I have prayed for a long time that I would know what love is - that I would be better in touch with the type God created and less in touch with the type we've made for ourselves in this world.

Let me tell you what I mean by that.

I was reading through my journal yesterday and found a note that I'd written saying "the name of Jesus is often followed by a verb."

Jesus blessed.
Jesus taught.
Jesus commanded.
Jesus healed.
Jesus washed the feet of the disciples.
Jesus knocked over the tables.
Jesus invited.
Jesus wept.
Jesus died.

That's it - the very definition of that little word we like to doll-up and sentimentalize and paste inside glittery red hearts - love is a verb.

Within the past week I have seen love feed 300 meals to children who have kept hunger in daily company. I have seen love pick up a mud-covered, filthy three-year old with only underwear to wear and gather her in its arms and kiss her cheek. I have seen love hold its hands out to a child jumping into a pool for the first time in his life. I have seen love sob at the sight of poverty and abandonment. I have seen love drive to the middle-of-nowhere, Nicaragua and seek out a little girl who had cried out for fuller life, and then I watched love bring her home. I have seen love dream up plans for better futures. I have seen love shower words of encouragement as often as they are needed. I have seen love send people to places they may have never imagined they might be. I have seen love draw people closer toward their own salvation.

Love is not weak. It is not a pretty idea to keep inside. It is strong and steadfast and it fights. It is almighty and active. It is powerful. It can hand out forgiveness and grace and it can make things new. It does things. It is not stagnant.

Don't settle for the type found in Hallmark stores that costs $2.99 and the time it takes to sign your name. Seek love to its richest degree, seek the type that will shake you by your shoulders and force you into action - and you will find a Healer, a Teacher, a Warrior, a Pardoner, and a Savior.


1 comments:

Ashley said...

Wow, love this. Thanks Emily. :)

Post a Comment