should be writing papers. wrote this instead. whoops.

Wounded

My brother and I once found
a small baby bird
beneath a tree in the yard.

It had fallen too early,
broken the little parts
of its body, and we didn't
know what to do except
put it inside a box,

sit at the base
of the tree and watch
our hurt little treasure
speak in wounded
bird cries, shake with fear.

I don't think we knew,
for many moments
at least, that it would never
fly again, or that its mother
had been off looking
for worms, or that we would
watch her come back
and make flying sweeps
to search for him,
or that she would cry
in the tones of grief -
something we could, even then
understand the meaning of.

When my brother got bored
I sat there at the tree base
with the wounded thing,
and I loved it with a strength
bigger than my age,
loved every part of its brokenness
and I think I believed,
truly, and with depth,
that I loved it so much that it would
rise up from the box
and fly.

I still believe,
with a deepness,
that love,
at its greatest moments,
dreams.

1 comments:

Angela Williams said...

Emily, this is beautiful!!

Post a Comment