notes from 8am History of Literature discussion

yeah, these are really going to help me on the exam

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

engl 381-discusion-oct26
  • Wyatt poems:
  • - in the “Whoso list to hunt”, we get the Latin phrase Noli me tangere, which is calling the reader to consider when Jesus tells Mary M. not to touch him because he is not yet ascended to the father
  • - yay jesus. I like him
  • - what is the significance of the speaker not being able to touch Caesar’s “dear” (deer)?
  • - opps. I missed the answer to that question.
  • - now to the next poem. it’s called “My Galley”….I think it’s about a boat
  • - poet likes oceans. he likes talking about oars. he likes talking about stars.and storms.
  • - Ellen picker is playing with her bangs. Hi, Ellen Picker.
  • - TA saying something about how we need to take a theory class….don’t even know what that is.
  • - in line 9, the poet talks about the “cloud ‘of disdain”, which is where his tears come from
  • - ohh, rain = tears. clever.
  • - I think girl-next-to-me-who-talks-a lot is looking at my computer screen. hey girl, stop looking. tap your foot if you are reading this right now.
  • - the “stars that led me to this pain” = his lover’s eyes.
  • - he’s kind of emo
  • - professor parker talked in class about how each of these poems has three people in them….the speaker, the lover, and the beloved. beats me what the difference is between the lover and the beloved. ?
  • - she hasn’t tapped her foot. but I probably wouldn’t tap my foot either. I’d want to be sneaky. I’m still on to you, girl.
  • - oh poop. I just spilled coffee on my jeans.
  • - Wyatt as poet wasn’t super interested in allegory
  • - oh, TA just mentioned the sea-monster Scylla from the Odyssey. I dressed up as Scylla once.
  • - in “my galley”, the idea of wanting a beloved is almost as good as getting her (? that doesn’t seem as good to me, but ok)
  • - dang, wish I still had that Scylla costume
  • - new poem. “They Flee From Me”. Here’s what happens in this poem: this dude loves this girl but then the girl is like “sike, I don’t like you” so he’s like “ok, I just like the idea of being in love”
  • - I wonder if professor parker is married
  • - oh no, she’s handing papers back. dum dum dummmmm
  • - hey girl next to me, I’m still watching you

4 comments:

zoe said...

LAUGHING OUT LOUD
HAHAHAHA I LOVE YOU

Unknown said...

You are one of the most hilarious people I know - you know that, right?? Please, some day, write a book about your college experience and use these notes as one of your chapters :)

Angela Williams said...

I love these. I also want to know if he's married! And are you dressing up this year as something?

Sarah said...

love this. love, love. to be honest, I'd probably have been the girl looking at the computer screen. I love seeing what other people are doing/writing.

Post a Comment