one of the highlights of my week

and a constant opportunity to utilize my creative energies is hanging out with one of my favorite new friends, Gray. He is a four-year-old ball of eternal energy and I get to fly rocket ships, search for dinosaurs, and perform sold-out shadow puppet plays with him every Tuesday morning.

Last week, he was on a super hero kick. So from the moment I walked in the door, I was called Super Emily (which was a pretty nice boost to my ego), and we spent the morning hours going on an imaginary camp-out, complete with imaginary bonfire and imaginary s'mores (not quite as good as the real thing). And it was simple - that without a single thing in our hands except for imagination, the world came alive. And it does that every single week I babysit him and his precious baby brother, Tate.

I was thinking about this last week while we were in his room talking dinosaurs, when Gray said something about Jesus. He said, "Did you know that God sent Jesus, and basically, Jesus is a superhero."

Basically, Jesus is the superhero.

That's it. A simple truth rooted inside the abundant imagination of a four-year-old. It is as profound as it is plain. And I keep thinking that this is how I should be every single day: both able to see the world with kaleidescope eyes of wonder, and capable of trusting whole-heartedly in the truth that is simple and simply fantastic - that I've got a savior who comes to my rescue, the one I can always count on.

And it's kind of wonderful - that along with child-like faith we get the ability to make the world magical and complicated and easy all at once, isn't it?


0 comments:

Post a Comment