barista knowledge, in hindsight

I've learned how to make a really stellar dry cappuccino (after wasting gallon after gallon of milk practicing)

I've learned that my caffeine-addicted body now craves at least three cups a day or I will get a nasty headache in the afternoon.

I've learned how to handle myself when middle school boys with guts and Justin Bieber-esque confidence try to schmooze their way into a free milkshake.

I've learned how to not vomit when creepy old men linger too long at the counter and try to flirt with me.

I've learned that it's always creepy old men or middle school boys who like to hit on baristas (or at least this barista), never knights-in-shining-armor. never.

I've learned to appreciate the small details of life - like how genuinely beautiful it is when you add cream to iced coffee, how it falls and makes all sorts of patterns.

I've learned to appreciate the small details of people - how organized or unorganized their wallets are, how teenagers act on a first date, if someone gets a skim latte but then asks for extra whipped cream, what book they're reading, how they phrase their order, etc.

I've learned to anticipate regulars like clock-work. I've learned the specific way the older couple who has a coffee date every other afternoon likes their lattes. I've learned to brew Sumatra for the history professor and his wife because that is their favorite. I've learned about people's families, their sicknesses, their dreams, their vacations. I think I'll actually miss them.

I've learned that every person you never want to see again from high school will show up at some point.

I've learned to find Jesus in serving a cup of coffee, simply because it's what I find myself doing and so I know He's there.

I've learned to turn the silent moments when everything is brewed and cleaned and stocked and I'm alone into moments to spend with the Lord. I've learned to check my pockets before I do laundry, so that I don't wash away the prayers I scribble on the back of receipt paper and then fold up to keep.

I've learned a multitude of silly things to do with the dry ice the milk is delivered with. Top two things: put the dry ice in the big sink and pour hot water over it, and then pretend you are in a rock show as the fog rolls out and envelopes you. And after that, pretend that you are Harry Potter and being chased by dementors. Best. Fun. Ever.

I've learned to love the hour before we officially open, when I can dance around with my iPod in as I get things ready.

I've learned to love knowing about the lives of everyone I work with, simply because they are all so wonderful and different than me, and I think that is fabulous.

I've learned that grace is important and hard, and it's enough. Grace for yourself when you screw a million things up, and grace for others when they yell at you about their mocha not being hot enough or chocolaty enough, etc.

I've learned to keep a copy of the book I'm reading behind the counter for slow days.

I've learned to love the places God puts me, because they are as wonderful and strange and challenging and beautiful as a coffee shop in Warrenton, Virginia. And who knows where He'll put me next.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this line "I've learned to find Jesus in serving a cup of coffee, simply because it's what I find myself doing and so I know He's there." Such a great reminder that Jesus is with us wherever we are - something I forget sitting in my cube most days.

Post a Comment