again and again and again

This morning, the ocean outside my window was as calm as glass. It was smooth and soft looking, so much so that I wished I could dive from my porch right into it and float parallel to the clouds.

And after a walk (during which three dolphins seemed to follow me step for step) and a quick swim, I'm sitting here on the porch with a cup of coffee and staring at it still - this vast sea that has never failed to haunt and delight me. Not once.

I could ask myself why that is a million times over. I could write stanza after stanza of verse to try to explain it, the complexities of the water or why I love it so much. But I think what I come back to time and again is the easiest answer and the one that holds the most truth.

It is beautiful because it is the Lord.

I've learned a lot about the Lord's love from the sea. Or maybe, I should say that I've learned a lot about the mystery of that love. I've learned that it is utterly beyond my capacity to grasp at the height and depth of it. I've learned that it reaches into the far corners of my heart, the places I dare not explore. I've learned to simply marvel at it, everything I can't understand about it, and to just be glad that it exists and that it is beautiful beyond measure.

More recently, I've been learning that it is consistent. Where my faithfulness fails, and when my own capacity for love is tossed back and forth with each gust of wind, His love for me endures. It is strong and powerful and steady and eternal. I was snuggled in bed last night listening to the waves and the thought came into my head - "it never stops, does it?". And His love doesn't. It's the steady rhythm of the waves, and it is for me.

Sometimes we move our hearts into cities far from the shore, and cover up the roar of sea with traffic and blaring radios and the chatter of our busy lives, and we forget that it is consistent. We forget that it is there on the horizon of our souls - an ocean screaming with love. And it falls down upon us. Again and again and again.

And again.


Hallelujah.

0 comments:

Post a Comment