something I love from the Adrienne Rich poetry reading I just watched

"I think that there is probably some kind of movement, certainly there was for me, from writing poems when you’re young and starting out. [Those poems]come out of your life, your subjective experience and they are in certain ways pretty enclosed in that. The movement is then the opening up to a larger and larger and larger world- being able to hear more voices than your own voice, or your own voices, because we have many voices in us. It's about hearing voices that couldn't possibly be your voices. They are around you and they enter you. I’m talking about a trajectory of a career of a poet’s development toward maturity. I think of maturity for a poet as being able to see more people in the world, not just yourself and your loved one, yourself and your father, or mother, or brother…but seeing yourself as part of a stream of human life that is various, diverse."




0 comments:

Post a Comment